Midterm Project



The project is based on a location in College Station, Texas. The gridlines are all based on a pre-existing building that was on the site shown at the top of the image. It created a 30' x 30' grid which I centered all of the forms around. In this project I used the size of the pre-existing building as a driving factor for how the rest of the building responds. One the first and fourth floors, because the spaces are not connected to each other, the walls do not change, only the distance between the spaces change. The second and third floors are all connected so the entire floor moves together. I did my best to have the entire space change proportionally but I struggled with moving any angled walls which greatly restricted the project. 


There are housing in the original project that were on a 30' x 30' grid that I imported as simple family extrusions in the mass file. I arrayed a block and made the number of block dependent on the distance between their outside edges, then imported into my project.


Once inside the project, I placed it on the third floor and locked it to the left edge of the floor. I then connected the distance parameter from the family to a distance I chose to be the width of the houses in the project and used that new length to control the number of houses in project. 


I also attempted to have the height of the pre-existing building control the height of each floor used in the model. Using families as floors this experiment worked nicely and the floors were raised or lowered proportionally compared to the height of the pre-existing building but I could not find a way to do this using levels rather than simple height dimensions. 


This is a rendering of one of the 30' x 30' rooms showing the living room and access to the level above along with view of the kitchen behind.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project